Tuesday, August 23, 2011

As a matter of fact, I'm not Kim Kardashian!





But I did have a beautiful wedding a few years ago. There were beautiful seasonal flowers, our dearest friends, incredible families, a cake that left a lot to be desired (another post) and a dress I loved. I didn't change into three different dresses like I heard Kim did, but I'm sure that's the only difference between our weddings.

My dress has been hanging in the guest room closet for almost eight years now and really...what do you do with it? Pass it on to another ancient bride? Sell it on consignment (or worse...having it rejected by the consignment shop)? And since I am only one of two women in history that was fatter at my wedding than I am now (Diana was the other one), it seemed unlikely that I would wear it again---even dyed some snappy color.

Then I heard about an event called "Love That Dress", a fundraiser for the Pace Center for Girls in Fort Myers, Florida. Donated dresses are sold to raise money for their programs to keep at-risk girls in school. I donated the dress (and the matching shoes of course) to the event and I feel great knowing that someone will be wearing the dress that meant so much to me. I hope the love I felt on that day "rubbed off" a little (but it's ok, I had it dry-cleaned!) on the next women who wears it. And Kim? Well, I hope she knows the joy of having an amazing husband who makes her feel beautiful every day--- whether in jeans or a fancy lace dress.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! A memory near and dear to my heart! And speaking of Kim... sat by the groom's sister on a flight from Santa Barbara to Denver. How's that for almost famous?!

    ReplyDelete